Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Elimination Round

Today was Jean's class's Elimination Round....!!!

I dont know how I did... I was nervous. Even though I was telling myself like to perform as concert... It is always hard when you know you are getting judged by other flutest in the town. Your teacher cannot say anything. All disitions will be done by just juries...

Result will not go up until few days later...
..............Very nervous.


Jury systems here are pretty confusing...
so I will explain how exams works at my school...

At my school (ENMP), there are around 7~8 flute professors teaching. Each teachers can have up to 10 students in one lesson day. This year... Jean took 13 students. (There are 42 piano professors!!!!!!! imagin how many pianists are at school... OR flutists...) Well, since there are lots of students... for theses instruments we have to take 1st round of Jury to actually go to the Final Jury (which is the final exam). People who passed 1st round can move onto the Final round... System is pretty intense. Some people do get cutted at 1st round... 1st round is done by each studio. For flutes, since there are many studios exams are taken up 2 days.

In the Elimination Round (1st round) everyone in the same division play the same required piece. School have posted the requirement for this 1st round back in end of March. They gave us one month to work on. This year, for my divition (5th level- education major (1st year)....not really education major... they somehow call like this. 2nd half of 5th level is the perfomance major), our required piece was Stamiz's Rondo Capriccioso. Very simple short pice, flute solo, for this edition.... pretty poorly edited... Other levels requirement included Telman's Fantasie N.8, Paganini's Caprice N.9, Karg-Elert's Chaconne etc... really nice flute repartories... really nice music written for flute...

For the Final Round of Jury, you have to prepair whole program of concert. However, depends on the level of your class, requirements are all different.

5th division Education (which I am doing right now): 1 sonata, 1 pice, 1 required piece
5th division Perfomance : 1 sonata, 1 pice, 1 contemporary work, 1 required piece
6th division Education: 1 sonata, 1 piece, 1 contemporary work, 1 movement from a Concerto, 1 required piece
6th division Perfomance: 1sonata, 1 piece, 1 contemporary work, whole Concerto, 1 required piece

Theses requirement piece for the Final round, school had posted up back in End of January. Usually they pick pieces they are not unknown... for 5th division Ed, I have to prepair Henze's Sonata (movement 2 and 3). I have never heard of him or his music, nither Jean. This piece is very contemporary sounding... flute and piano both have different tonality...

Anyhow, who ever passea the 1st round of Jury, you can play the whole concert program which you have prepaired at the Final Jury with Pianist. Which will be open to the public. The perfomance, there will be Pass/Fall too. More juries will be coming and will be judging you perfomance. Also your own teacher will not able to say anything about the judgement.... You can pass with 'honor' which is all juries agree for you to pass, or you can just pass, or fall... INTENSE.


Well, I am keep crossing my fingers to see my name up on the 14th...
I really hope everyone in Jean's class will pass the 1st round...!!
I would love to play in Final Jury.

No comments: