Sunday, May 31, 2009

Meeting the History

This looks like normal Flute... Well, this is no JUST a flute.

This flute was owned, used, played by Philippe Gaubert, one of the French flutist, very important historical flute person. In the flute world, everyone knows who he is.... There is no way you can avoide his name to learn the flute.

Philippe Gaubert... When I attende OSU flute workshop for 1st time, my ensemble name was his name lol We studied him, played his music, I still love his music and all excisise he made with another great flutist, Taffanel.

Anyhow, yup. I met it... and hold it... I could not say a word. Big sigh came out. I was just so over whelmed and could not believe it is still here. What a beautiful instrument...

Flute History can go back very very long time ago. Which I still need to study. If I did masters in USA, it was MUST study thing before MM. Any how, in 20th century, Louis Lot became one of the best flute maker, however, he only made around 900 flutes in about 20 years (not much). It was very rare to find his flute. However, at that time, very historical flutists were playing Louis Lot's flute, including Gaubert.
Gaubert's flute was made in Novermber 14th, 1927. Serial No. 1986, which is written on this head joint. This flute was owned by Gaubert.

Time has passed, and Gaubert was always in my though, passed person... historical person... however, meeting his flute and holding it, it felt like he was still alive and actually sprit came in life or something... I was goosebumpped for quite long time... and could not stop looking at this flute. It was most beautiful art work i have ever seen. It is flute, but flute with sprit. Flute maybe has own mind. Pretty out there thought, but really, flute it self just have amasing energy... Wow.

My friend is on project fixing this to make it playable again. I cannot wait until he is done with project...

Paris is a living history...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

出逢いとは、必然的だと思うよ。
だから、この出逢いや、
今まで、これからの出逢いを大切にね